After being bitten by a dog, if you have not sought medical attention, do so immediately. A medical professional can properly treat your injury and prevent you from developing secondary symptoms. Once a doctor has examined you, the experienced dog bite lawyers at the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group recommend you:
- Document when, where, and how the dog bite occurred
- Obtain the name, address, and phone number of the dog’s owner
- Report the dog bite incident to authorities and local animal control office
- Take photos of your injury, the location where you were bit, and if possible, the dog who attacked you
- Keep copies of your medical report and any paperwork documenting your medical expenses
- Keep a journal of any lifestyle changes you have made as a result of your injury. For example, if you have had to pay for transportation because you are unable to drive, make a note of that.
- Do not discuss the details of the incident with anyone, including an insurance agent, before consulting a skilled dog bite attorney at the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group
In the state of California, the statute of limitations for filing a dog bite lawsuit is two years from the date the injury occurred or was discovered. However, because each case is different, the time allowed by the state to file a claim may vary. If you do not file a lawsuit before the time allowed by the state expires, you will be denied the ability to file a claim and you will not be allowed the opportunity to recover financial compensation. Your one chance to recover funds for injury-related expenses should not be jeopardized. Contact an aggressive dog bite lawyer at the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group as soon as possible. We can prepare and file your claim paperwork to ensure your claim is filed within the time allowed by the state.
The different types of damages recoverable in a dog bite claim, include:
- Medical expenses
- Past, current, and future lost wages
- Past, current, and future lost benefits
- Disfigurement and physical pain
- Physical therapy and medical devices
- Emotional strain
If you were bitten by a dog on someone else’s property, you may be able to file a premises liability (area of law governing property) claim to pursue incident-related damages. Please keep in mind; in a premises liability claim, the victim must prove their injuries were caused by the negligence of another person or party. Establishing liability can be very difficult without the representation of a skilled attorney. At the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group, our dog bite attorneys can help you prove you were injured through no fault of your own and therefore, deserve compensation for the damages associated with your injury.
If you were injured while at work, you may be able to file a workers’ compensation claim to collect benefits. You may also be able to file a third party lawsuit to collect additional compensation. Please call the ethical dog bite lawyers at the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group now to discuss your eligibility to obtain funds from multiple sources.
You may be able to file a lawsuit against your landlord, but it can be very difficult to establish liability. As a victim, you must prove the landlord knew about the dog and the dog’s aggressive behavior. You must also prove the landlord did not take reasonable steps to protect you and other residents from the dog. As you can see, dog bite claims can be very complex and our dog bite attorneys do not recommend you attempt the claims process alone. Please contact our friendly staff today to learn how we can assist you with your potential case.
As mentioned above, it’s almost impossible to establish liability without the expertise of an experienced attorney. Sadly, many victims realize too late the importance of hiring skilled legal representation. Our knowledgeable dog bite attorneys at the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group have the resources and the skill needed to get you the highest settlement amount possible. We can also make sure your medical care is the best available.
The dog bite attorneys at the San Diego Dog Bite Attorney Group work on a no recovery, no fee basis. We offer free case reviews and won’t charge you any hidden fees. Call our law group today at (619) 326-4450 to arrange an appointment to speak one on one with a compassionate dog bite lawyer. Let’s get you on the path to a brighter future. Call right now!